This savory vegetarian lentil roast recipe has been in the family, in one form or another, since the early 1900’s, and has been one of our favorites. It is an easy to make vegetarian and gluten-free recipe that is not only healthy, but really good. It does contain walnuts, eggs and condensed milk, so those who cannot eat those items should find substitutes. I have made it without nuts and used almond milk which will alter the texture and flavor, but still very tasty.
This is my go to recipe for potlucks or if one of my friends or family is in need of a meal. I liken it to the vegetarian meatloaf and my kids scarf it down without complaint.
- 2 cups of cooked lentils
- ½ cup of coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg
- 1 large can of evaporated milk
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 cups of crushed Corn Chex® cereal (you can also use 1½ cup of brown rice as a substitute for the cereal)
- ½ teaspoon of rubbed sage
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Bake uncovered in non-stick sprayed 7 x 11 inch dish for 1 hour.
- Spread the jar of tomato sauce over the roast during the last 10 minutes of baking.
- This roast freezes well and is perfect for potlucks.