My family is a lover of soups and one of our newest favorites is my healthy butternut squash soup.
What I like about this soup is it is good warm or even cold.
We like to have it with a nice piece of corn bread or some crackers on the side.
21 Day Fix Approved Butternut Squash Soup
This soup recipe is also perfect for my clients who use the 21 Day Fix clean eating system.
The soup is considered a purple in the Fix portion control system because when you puree a vegetable you get more calories from it, but the soup is a great addition to any dinner line up.
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 – 2.5 pound butternut squash peeled de-seeded and cubed (no more than four cups)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium carrots chopped (no more than two cups)
- 32 fl-oz of Organic Free Range Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoons sea salt optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Take your butternut squash and with a peeler, peel off all the outside skin. Cut the squash in half and de-seed then cut into cubes as shown in photo below.
- Chop your medium onion, two medium carrots, and minced up garlic and put into a stock pot with your tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat and saute until nice and soft.
- Add in the four cups of cubed squash to your stock pot.
- Then take the 2 cups of water and add in your chicken or vegetable broth.and throw in the seasonings and herbs above.
- Simmer all ingredients until you can poke a fork through the squash.
- Next take an immersion blender and blend until smooth or whatever consistency you like it.
- You can garnish with pumpkin seeds if you want or a dollop of plain yogurt.
- Day Fix Containers: 1 serving = 1 purple and 1 tsp
I love to cook with butternut squash because there are so many ways to make it sweet, spicy, and even savory.
This healthy butternut squash soup I created really hits the spot and perfect for the cool crisp weather.
It is gluten and grain free and kid approved.
Do you have any other butternut squash recipes you love?