I grew up taking swimming lessons practically every summer as a small child. Now that I have children, learning to swim is a must for them also. My husband and I are on a tight budget, and the distance to drive 30+ minutes one-way makes formal swimming lessons not feasible for our children.
Learning to swim is important because we have a seasonal pool. I want my children to feel secure in the pool and know how to stay above water. Last summer my husband and I researched and since then found several helpful videos and links to teach children how to swim. Our children are still young, and by the end of last summer our son Tristan, who was four at the time, knew how to kick and make his way around the pool pretty well. We are reteaching him and his sister this summer. Here are some of the links we found helpful in teaching our kids how to swim and stay safe in the pool.
Fun Ways To Teach Kids Swimming Lessons– LiveStrong is a great resource with videos and fun tips on how to get your kids to swim.
Below are only a few of the videos we use to help us teach our young children to swim:
- How to Swim: How To Teach a Child To Swim
- How To Swim: How To Teach a Child to Tread Water
- How To Teach Kids to Swim: Infant Pop-up Breathing while Swimming
- How To Teach Kids to Swim: Teaching Children to Go Underwater
- How To Teach Kids to Swim: Teaching Children a Back Float in Swimming
- Northern Virginia Swim League (Several Helpful Videos)
Shared on these fine blog linking parties: